Learn to Earn Vacancies
Learn to Earn (LtE) is a Christian organization which seeks to develop people, especially unemployed people, socially, economically, emotionally and spiritually.
Ground UP Barista Trainer
One of LtE’s newest initiatives, Ground UP Academy comprises of Barista Academies in Cape Town and Johannesburg along with various other entrepreneurial developments offering coffee solutions to the general public.
We are requiring the services of a suitably qualified Barista Trainer to head up our academy barista training programmes. We are looking for an energetic, caring and patient individual who loves training others, is customer service oriented coupled with a passion for coffee! The head trainer needs to be able to take complete ownership of the training programme at Ground UP, a LtE initiative, while looking for ways to continually improve and increase the value this programme provides to the unemployed and job creation.
1. Hold to LtE’s statement of faith and be an active member of an evangelical church
2. Experience as a Barista Trainer with a proven Barista record that is reflected in qualifications and achievements attained within the industry. The applicant must be able to manage the following responsibilities:
• Create, maintain, & improve as needed all Ground UP training programmes including coffee basics, barista basics & advanced training, milk creations, competition training, and alternative brewing training.
• Customised trainings as needed (espresso basics, signature drinks, customer service, latte art, Home Barista courses etc)
• Teach and participate at regular specialty coffee conventions and competitions.
3. Cupping event experience and a sound understanding of roasting techniques
4. Ability to diagnose and respond to all customer enquiries regarding coffee
5. Be subject matter expert on current trends and preferably be SCASA / SCAE/City& Guilds accredited.
General Skills and Experience
• Proven history of maintaining a cooperative work / training environment.
• Develop and implement new training systems based on the vision and goals set by the organisation.
• Recommend new methods and procedures to enhance current and future operating strategies
• Participate in product demonstrations as needed
• At least three (3) years’ experience in a Barista training environment in addition to three (3) years of artisan barista experience
• Ability to efficiently plan, complete multiple tasks and projects while meeting specific timelines
• Communicate effectively and professionally at all levels both inside and outside the organisation
• Possess the ability to thrive in a dynamic environment
• Personable, outgoing, energetic, organized, reliable and full of integrity
• Entrepreneurial mind set
• Must have reliable transportation and a valid Driver’s License
• Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint with a strong orientation to developing simple documents and spreadsheets to organize work
• Food prep experience required
• Coffee shop management experience a plus
• Attention to detail and adherence to the highest standards of hygiene & cleanliness
• Ability to manage and prioritize tasks
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Enjoys working in a development environment that is people centred
• Will be based in Cape Town with periodic travel to Johannesburg
Type of Employment: Full-time Permanent
Closing date for applications: 23 July 2017
Should you not be contacted within 90 days of the application deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful
Starting date and remuneration: TBC
The following apply to all Learn to Earn jobs:
• Hold to LtE's statement of faith and be an active member of an evangelical church.
• Be in possession of a relevant qualification and relevant Certificate or Diploma (if applying for a Training position) as a facilitator.
• Have at least 5 years' experience working in training environment (if applying for a Training position)
• Working knowledge of the SETA environment.
• Excellent English communication and report writing skills.
• Good computer skills.
• Knowledge of Xhosa would be beneficial.
• Ability to work inter-culturally.
• To participate in weekly staff devotions and prayer meetings, the staff language programme "Word-a-day", and the weekly services.
• To participate in the employer's Annual Staff Retreat. We go away for a weekend.
• To participate in the employer's Annual Report Back Meeting which is held on a Saturday.
• To be co-responsible for the continued development of the employer.
• To endorse and promote the employer's Statement of Faith, Mission Statement and Statement of Principles.
• Staff development in the field of focus will be offered from time to time. To enrol in a systematic theological educational programme would be encouraged. The possibility exists that as a staff we may do an in-house course on the theological basis for holistic ministry.
• To promote the employer and obtain financial support therefore.
• Outside of the employee's above responsibilities the employee will be expected to do things that fall outside of the ambit of their job description, such as sweeping, cleaning, covering for and helping other staff. This is a team ministry.
• The current normal work hours are 08h00 to 16h30 on Monday to Thursday and 08h00 to 15h30 on a Friday
• Teatime will be from 10H30 to 11H00. Lunchtime will be taken from 13H00 to 13H30 daily.
• These hours are subject to change at the Director's discretion.
• Occasionally you may be required to attend activities outside of the above hours. This would not be considered overtime.
Learn to Earn South Africa